Never question your capabilities.
Dr. Spock spoke it most beautifully when he said,
“Trust Your Self.
You know more than you think you do.”
One of the reasons why I do what I do in the kitchen is to prove that saying true to my own Self.
I’m very forgetful.
So who said that drinking tea and eating crumpets were on the “No More!” list once you went gluten free???
Make of it what you will, I however will continue to be in the kitchen proving everyone differently.
(And by everyone, I simply mean my Self).
Today is proof that I do know more than I give myself credit for.
Thank God this proof is edible!
I call these “Crumpins” because I believe they are the distant cousin of the English muffin and the Crumpet.
Not quite either one yet a delightful blend of both.
I will take it!
Cara’s Crumpins Recipe
Makes 6 Crumpins
- 1 1/4 c. Cara’s Flour Blend
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp palm sugar
- 1 packet rapid yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer + 2 Tb water (whisked til frothy)
- 1/3 c. warm hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 c. warm water
- coconut oil to grease pan
- Whisk flours and xantham gum together until fully combined. Add salt, sugar and yeast.
- Make a well in the center. Add all wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Place a towel over the bowl and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- After 45 min. take a spoon and stir a few times.
- Heat up coconut oil in a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat. Place a circular cookie cutter on skillet and pour a couple spoonfuls into the cutter to keep a circle shape. Allow to cook a few minutes before you take off cookie cutter (careful, it will be hot!) and keep cooking on one side another 3-4 minutes. Flip over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- I slightly cut off the tops of one side just so I could see those air bubbles. I wanted to make it look official! I also put them in the toaster right after just to get a nice crisp.
- Drench with Earth Balance butter, homemade jam, nut butter–whatever! Eat! Eat! Eat!
- Refrigerate leftovers and eat within a few days.