Only TWO days left!
Which means our time is coming to a close with our
Gluten-Free & Vegan
month-long Halloween theme.
Who needs a tissue?
Well, before you cry yourself into a tizzy,
rest assured that Thanksgiving is just around the corner.
And since there is no rest for this weary little brain of mine,
know that November brings a whole new theme.
So as we slowly bring October to a close,
I got you something!
“Me?” you ask.
“Yeah you!” (said in Jake Ryan’s voice from “Sixteen Candles” at the end).
Oh, what is it? What is it? I just *love* presents!
Well, go ahead and open it then!!
A Gluten-Free and Vegan Snickers Bar!
Just what you always wanted.
Or as my father says,
“It’s something you have always wanted, you just never knew it.”
Usually after that phrase it was followed up by:
a fake arm.
Star Trek glasses.
a WWF nightlight.
gardening gloves (never gardened in my life).
a squishy eye keychain.
an 8-inch thick book on manners…
You get the idea.
*Now if ever you question my strange sense of humor,
you can understand where I get it from*
(((And mind you, these are Christmas gifts from my dad
to a teenaged version of me over the years))).
Never a dull moment.
I would never do this to you.
Today I bring you a special, long-awaited candy bar!
They really do satisfy.
Damn that nougat though.
I made at least 5 different batches/recipes.
It nearly killed me this week.
And I will admit, it’s still not 100% perfect.
But does it taste good?
You bet your bottom dollar, it does!
Vegan and Gluten-Free Snickers Recipe
- vegan chocolate chips
- 1 c. peanuts
- caramel recipe (see below)
- nougat recipe (see below)
- candy mold (optional)
For the caramel:
- 1 c. MimiCreme (or non-dairy milk of choice)–Thanks again, Amanda hehe
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. Earth Balance
- 1/4 c. light corn syrup
- 1/4 c. agave
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Throw all the ingredients for the caramel (EXCEPT the vanilla extract) into a saucepan and melt on medium heat. Stir continuously. Once mixture begins to boil, add candy thermometer. Leave alone without stirring until it reaches between 250* F (beginning of soft ball phase).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour onto parchment paper-lined 8×8 pan (or your choice) ***Read side note at end of recipe if you are not using a candy mold before you even do this!
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Chill in fridge 30-ish minutes or until set.
For the nougat: (so NOT healthy)
*Stephanie at Give Them Something Better has an awesome vegan nougat recipe that she just posted that is definitely worth checking out.
*Or might I also offer Isobelle’s raw nougat recipe over at Vgan-Jar that is also amazing!
- 1/4 c. corn syrup
- 2 Tb Earth Balance butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1 1/4 c. ricemellow creme
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Using an electric mixer, mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar in batches until firm in shape.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for at least 1-2 hours.
ASSEMBLING CANDY BAR:
- Temper (melt) your chocolate. Line candy mold with thin layer of chocolate.
- Layer with peanuts first, caramel next and then nougat. Cover with remainder chocolate.
- Freeze for 10 minutes and then remove from the mold.
- These are really kept best if frozen.
***Side note: IF YOU ARE NOT USING A CANDY MOLD: Assemble in a parchment-lined 8×8 pan: chocolate layer first, then peanuts. Freeze while making caramel. Once the caramel is ready, pour as the 3rd layer. Freeze again while you make the nougat. 4th layer. Take out candy by the parchment paper, cut into rectangles and dip each one into tempered chocolate and set on a piece of parchment paper until set (or freeze to make time go by faster).
Now, to end my post on an even happier note,
I wanted to share with you some incredible Halloween cards my mother
has been making and sending me each week:
Aren’t they just the BEST?
She is so adorable, I could just pinch her from cuteness!
*I get my creativity from this woman*
And this message is for my brother and sister:
If ever you needed proof that truly I am the favorite child,
may this slap you in the face, suckers.
**I’m Cara, and I approve this message**