Remember this post when I made you guess what was peculiar about the picture; if you could find the item that didn’t belong in a gluten-free/vegan diet? Some of you guessed correctly: I ended up making homemade Hershey Kisses. What, did you forget about it already? I hope not because today is the day I am spilling the beans on how I did it.
Homemade Smooches Recipe
Yield: 12 smooches
- 1/2 c. Enjoy Life non-dairy chocolate chips
- 12 almonds
- mini funnels *see note
- silver foil candy wrappers
- “Happy Valentine’s Day” printed strips
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double broiler or in a large metal bowl over top a saucepan filled with water to touch the bottom of the bowl. Alternatively, place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second increments. Stirring at each stop. This should take about 90 seconds total.
- Fill the funnel half way with melted chocolate, making sure the chocolate fills a little into the narrowest part. Place almond in middle, making sure that the chocolate is covering it entirely.
- Standing upright, freeze for 10 minutes. Remove smooches from funnel by gently squeezing the chocolate mold out. This should easily slip out. If not, freeze for another minute.
- After you cut out Happy Valentine’s Day paper strips (I printed mine out from the computer at size 8 Typewriter font), fold 1/4″ inch of the paper under the smooch, making it stand upright. Proceed to wrap with silver candy foil (you will need to cut the wrap to fit each individual kiss).
And that is all, folks. See you tomorrow…
Okay, okay, so maybe there is a SPECIAL announcement that I need to be making, eh? First of all, again, a big THANK YOU goes out to everyone who entered the contest and for all of their hardwork in the kitchen. This was such a difficult decision for Laurel, Jenn, and myself–I mean, you saw all of the contenders right?! So without further ado, I present to you the 3 winners from the First Annual Fork and Beans Valentine’s Day Bake-Off:
Best Allergen-Free goes to:
Red Velvet Truffles!
by Sunny @ And Love It Too
If you haven’t checked this recipe out, you must! Sunny managed to actually create a red velvet fudgy center and white chocolate coating from all raw ingredients!
***Honorable mention goes to Danielle @ Fresh 4 Five for her Chocolate Orange Ganache Tartlets.
Most Creative goes to:
Panna Cotta with Orange-Pomegranate Pearls
by Nora @ Natural Noshing
Not only the flavor combinations, but the fact that Nora could create these awesome agar pearls made the judges gasp.
***Honorable mention goes to Kris @ Spa Bettie for her Saffron Donuts.
And the Best Tasting goes to:
Salted Caramel Pecan Fudge Pie!
Kelly @ Kelly Klepfer Blogspot
Rich, fudgy, incredibly sinful! The caramelized pecan topping is enough of a reason to make this; as well as the filling would be simply delicious served as a parfait. But combining all of these flavors together? Sheer chocolate heaven!
Congratulations, ladies! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell me which store of choice you want for your gift card prize.