Talk about having your cake (er, pie) and eating it too, this raw key lime pie makes for the perfect breakfast.
And I should know. I am currently eating a “slice” as I write this post. You might be asking yourself why slice is in quotes (or for some of you, you understand me completely). There is no such thing as portion control when you are eating pie for breakfast, that is why. Just saying…
Raw Key Lime Pie Recipe
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
Makes 2 4″ mini pies
For the pie crust:
1/2 c. macadamia nuts
- 1/2 c. almonds
- 3 dates, depitted and chopped
- In a food processor, pulse until crumbly.
- Using half of the crust mix, place on the bottom of a 4″ mini springform pan and press gently with hands until smooth. Repeat for the other pan.
For the pie filling:
- 2 c. cashews, soaked for 3 hours
- 3/4 c. lime juice
- 1/4 c. agave nectar
- 1/4 c. coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 limes
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients exccept for the coconut oil until completely smooth. If it is difficult to blend, add 1 Tb of water at a time until the mix is able to blend properly. Try not to add too much though–you want a thick filling.
- Add the oil and blend until combined.
- Pour over crust and set in fridge for several hours until firm. (You might need to freeze the pie for a few minutes before you take it out of the pan.)
- Serve with fresh berries.