Julia Child said to never apologize for what you put on the table for your guests. Always smile and never give away that you made a mistake. Chances are, they will never know anyway…
I’m breaking her rule right now by admitting that as I attempted to duplicate Brooke’s Cranberry Bars, I wanted to make them fancy in ramekins. I unfortunately either didn’t wait long enough for the bars to set or I did something incorrectly. Regardless, this mistake created an amazing crumble.
*Pushing the Crumble in front of you, smiling a big ol’ toothy smile*
Cranberry Cheese Crumble
Converted from Brooke’s Merry Berry Cheese Bars
Gluten, egg, and dairy-free
Makes 10 small 3″ ramekin-filled Crumbles *or* approx 12 large bars
- 2 c. gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 c. oatmeal
- 3/4 c + 1 Tb firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 c. vegan butter, softened
- 1 (8oz) package vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. non-dairy milk
- 4 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 8 oz store bought cranberry sauce (I used Trader Joe’s brand and used 3/4 of the jar. Brooke has a great homemade recipe if you cannot find jarred cranberry sauce here)
- 2 Tbs corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- With mixer, beat flour, oats, 3/4 c. sugar and butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 1/2 c. mixture; press remaining mixture on bottom of greased 13X9 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- With mixer, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in non-dairy milk and powdered sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice.
- Spread over baked crust.
- Combine cranberry sauce, cornstarch, and remaining 1 Tb sugar. Spoon over cheese layer. Top with reserved mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes or until golden.
- Cool and cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.