For the days that you just want to have a fancy breakfast, have I got a treat for you. Not only are these a vegan version of Huevos Rancheros, but the tortillas have been turned into cups for a creative twist to this tasty breakfast. I called them: Scrambled Tofu Rancheros.*
*I know, now very original but it tastes good!
What’s the secret ingredient, you ask? My scrambled tofu “eggs,” that’s what. They are seriously the best tofu eggs I’ve ever had and it’s all thanks to vegetable broth. It adds a certain creaminess that is usually missing in most scrambles.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 batch Scrambled Tofu Eggs
- 1 c. refried beans
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- ¼ c. diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp thinly diced onions
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- sour cream (dairy free, if need be)
- avocado slices
- lime wedges
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat up your tortillas in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, just to allow pliability. In 6 oven safe bowls, place each tortilla into the bowl so it makes a cup shape. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Place the bowls on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until your tortillas have become to slightly brown. Remove from the bowls and allow to set.
- Heat up your beans in a small sauce pan, stirring in the spices. Remove from heat once they are heated through.
- Slather the beans on the bottom of each tortilla. Add the tofu eggs, and top with sliced tomatoes, onions, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with avocado slices and lime wedges.
Make breakfast fun and full of spice with these Scrambled Tofu Rancheros. Ole!