My energy levels have been less than ideal this week but considering that I am in detox mode, it’s definitely expected. I’ve been ultra tired lately, like passing out at 8pm tired. I’m also having lapses in my thinking from putting coffee grinds (for Matt’s coffee; caffeine is off-limits for me right now) into the blender and not the French press, to locking all my personal items into my car, having several brain fart moments (more than usual), and to slicing and dicing my poor hands, too many to count. In the midst of all-week low-grade headaches, I dragged myself off the couch just in time to make you this Peach Basil Chia Seed Jam. I know. Send flowers immediately.
I had jam on the schedule for a while now so I needed to get my creativity flowing and figure out how to maneuver my way around this. I really wanted to make something for you that I could enjoy too so that meant no strawberries and no refined sugar. Cleanse rules, folks.
Before I go any further I am sure many of you are in awe of that baguette and are thinking, “That is clearly not gluten-free AND vegan!” Well, you’d be wrong friend. It is, it really, really is. I bought it at a local L.A. bakery and no, it’s not cleanse approved, nor is the vegan butter…just the jam but I’ll take it! I’m not even interested in bread right now. I know, GASP.
Back to the jam, the chia seeds are a perfect and easy gelling base for those of us who don’t want to mess around with canning. They set in 20 minutes and just get firmer as they sit. Chia seeds are also a super nutritious food source and now you can get them in your jam as well. Hey look, we are multi-tasking–hooray! You can check out their nutritional profile here if you’d like.
- 4 ripe peaches, chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 3/4 c. water
- 1-2 Tbsp. date paste (2 Medjool dates blended with 1 Tbsp. water)
- 1-2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- juice of half lemon
- 8 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 4-5 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Heat up the chopped peaches and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer for 5 minutes are until the peaches are easy enough to smash with the back of a fork.
- Stir in the sweeteners, zest and juice. Remove from heat.
- Add the basil and chia seeds and allow to rest from the heat.
- Pour into two 8 oz. glass jars and allow to cool before chilling in the fridge.
- The sweetness of this jam solely depends on your sweet tooth as well as the sweetness of the fruit. Start with the lowest amount called for and then add to meet your preference.
- Makes 16 oz. (fills 2 8oz. jam jars)
So many more things to talk about friends but I shall wait. I can’t tell you about how the cleanse is going in full detail. Until then, enjoy your easy-to-make Peach Basil Chia Seed Jam! I know I will be. Now I gotta go buy some raw crackers to dip into this…
If you want to follow my journey, come over to Instagram where I am sharing my meals, recipes, and experiences. I would love for you to join!