Soft. Doughy. Coated in cinnamon and sugar. Dipped into rich (dairy free) chocolate. These gluten free churro poppers are the quintessential Cinco de Mayo treat that you will want to sink your teeth into over and over and over again. And maybe one more time…
It’s a very simple process so trust me on this! Hey you, don’t you dare scroll away. Yes, you CAN do this. I believe in you. You got this. Need more encouragement? You incredible gluten, egg, and dairy free baker you, you are ready to dominate! *I’m rubbing your shoulders and throwing water into your mouth* Seriously though, once you see how easy this is, you will wonder why you haven’t been making gluten free churro poppers every night for dessert. Well, that might be a bit of an overkill…
- 1½ c. Cara's Light Flour Blend
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ c. nondairy milk, heated
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ c. nondairy chocolate chips, melted
- In a small saucepan, heat up 2 c. vegetable oil over medium heat. Line a plate with a paper towel (to absorb the oil) and place the cinnamon sugar coating over the towel. Set aside and have ready right next to the stove.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry mix and stir until just combined. The batter should be on the thick side and should not be overly sticky or wet.
- Place into a large plastic baggie with a corner cut out or a piping bag. Squeeze out a good 1½"- 2" sized poppers onto a piece of parchment paper. These batter should be able to stay within its shape without sticking to the paper or losing shape.
- You can test first to see if your oil is ready by throwing one popper into the pan. It should immediately sizzle and brown evenly within a minute.
- Throw in the poppers in small batches. Once nicely browned, drain using a slotting spoon. Place onto the plate with the cinnamon sugar and evenly coat. Repeat for the remainder churros.
- Best if served immediately and warm.
Looking for more Cinco de Mayo-themed desserts? Here you go:
Now go throw some fiesta into your night when you make your family these egg, dairy and gluten free churro poppers for dessert. They might be allergen friendly but they are BIG on taste!
If you make these or any of my other creations, I LOVE seeing them on Instagram! Tag me @forkandbeans so I can be a part of loving on your photos.
Need some Cinco de Mayo dinner ideas? I have just the thing for you: