Nothing like a classic meal that brings you back to your childhood and makes you feel young again. Making these vegan Chickpea Sloppy Joes couldn’t be any easier either! Comes together in 25 minutes or less, this protein-packed dinner is bursting with flavor and hidden veggies. It’s the perfect meal for every member of your family, not just your little ones.
Comes together in 25 minutes, these protein-packed vegan chickpea Sloppy Joes are bursting with flavor and hidden veggies; perfect for your little ones.Print
- 2 can chickpeas
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, pureed (or 1 can tomato sauce)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 4 gluten-free buns OR you can use cabbage/lettuce leafs as a substitution
- Drain 1 can of chickpeas. Put into a bowl and mash with a fork (don’t worry if it is not all mashed–pictured above).
- Drain the 2nd can of chickpeas and stir into the mashed mixture. Set aside.
- Puree the can of tomatoes in a food processor (or just open the can of tomato sauce–i didn’t have sauce so i got creative with what i had and it turned out fabulous).
- In a large skillet, heat up 1-2 Tbs oil at medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. When they have tenderized, add the chickpeas. Let it warm up for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce/puree, sugar, spices and red pepper. Stirring often, let it heat up for a good 10-15 minutes
- Place on a gluten-free bun or lettuce leaf (Sloppy Joe Wraps!) and serve.
They’ll make you wanna do cartwheels, they’re that good. It might even bring you back to your “Smurfs” cartoon-watching days. This is definitely going on the menu rotation–what a hit! You can thank me later for this. Currently accepting gifts of lavish nature and checks written out to C-a-r-a…