Me and gluten-free and vegan baking are like Sammy and Ronnie from “The Jersey Shore.” One minute I love it. The next minute, we are fighting. Everyone in the house seems to be walking on eggshells anytime me and GF baking make up and are back together again because they never know if it is going to be a good day or a bad day. I never know what to expect either. It’s like GF/V Baking is on steroids (allegedly) and I never know when the next outbreak is (come on, Ronnie, we all know you do it…)
So last night was one of those moments. All day yesterday was one of those moments; it just came to a head last night.
Here is what happened:
- Me: What do you mean you can’t stay together; that you fall apart with me?
- GF/V: I don’t know what you are doing wrong.
- Me: What I’M doing wrong??? Maybe it’s you! Did you ever think of that? I never had any problems like this when I was with gluten!!!
- GF/V: Well, other girls have absolutely no problem with me so it must be YOU.
- Me: Oh yeah *bleeping* *bleep*?
- GF/V: YEAH!
(((This is where I start throwing GF/V’s suitcase and clothes out of my room)))
- Me: Maybe I should look on the internet and see who you have been *bleeping* hanging around with, you *bleep*
- GF/V: Go the *bleep* ahead!
(((This is where I look on the internet and see the smiling faces of other women with GF/V, claiming that being together is the easiest thing. Now I get even more angry, which inevitably becomes my fuel to keep trying!)))
- Me: Just for that, we are staying together!!!
- GF/V: FINE!
- Me: FINE! I will see you in the morning!
(((I wake up, whip up a beautiful batch of pancakes and we kiss and make up and act like nothing happened…until the next time–which happens a good 3x a week!))
But I’m glad this happens to me because it makes me fight. It gives me the fuel to master it (or at least make a good pancake!) I will never lie to you and tell you that I think gluten-free and vegan baking is easy. It just takes persistence. And being gentle on yourself. And the willingness to try, try, try again!
Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- 3/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1/2 c. tapioca starch
- 1/2 c. buckwheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. Garfava flour (or chickpea flour)
- 1 1/2 c. homemade nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender until thick and smooth. This can be made ahead of time and allowed to set overnight and ready to cook in the morning or immediately cooked.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with a knob of vegan butter and pour pancake batter into pan. Once air bubbles begin to form and the sides firm up, they are ready to flip over and cook another 2 minutes or so.
Seriously you don’t know how much you have saved me at the moment. My 5 year old can’t have gluten, dairy, egg, nut, potatoe, corn or rice and I have been beside myself trying to get him food that he will eat. Your vegan bread and these pancakes are the first success I have had. Thank you so much for fighting to find and develope amazing recipes.
I just posted your (mine with adaptations) very delicious vegan buckwheat pancake recipe on my blog.
Thank you so much! I really look forward to trying more of your recipes.
Just found this on Pinterest and as I see you seem to be getting a new comment a year for this wonderful recipe, I figured that old narf7 the Tasmanian vegan might just be 2014’s comment. Excellent recipe, fantastic that it’s buckwheat (the ONLY “wheat” that this little black duck is going to eat) and you just gave me back my breakfasts again 🙂
Narf7, you are scrumptulescent. This was the best comment ever–I chuckled so hard reading it! Thank you for making my night…
Hi Cara. I am new to Gluten Free, vegan baking but have been studying your blog closely for 2 weeks and am ready to take the plunge and do some baking. May I ask is that buckwheat flour or actual buckwheat for the pancakes
Hi Sarah! Sorry for the ambiguous ingredient listing. The buckwheat is the flour, yes 🙂 If you need anything while you are plunging into the world of GF/vegan baking, please let me know! Sending you tons of love and luck as you play around with this new way of eating. xo, Cara
Hurrah! Thanks Cara, I got waylaid by the flu but am going to try these in the morning. Thanks for your reply. Xx
oh..gluten-free vegan baking..what a crazy motha f*cka. he’s such an asshole. don’t let him mess with your emotions like that.
BAHAHAHA! Hilarious! This post was written a year ago, I cannot even believe it. My, how things change 🙂 xo
Yum! Those pancakes look great! Perfect way to start the day!
Especially when they end up staying in one piece (all my other pancake recipes were total failures!) Super good with a drizzle of agave syrup 🙂