Vegan Ice Cream Brownie Sandwiches. We’ll get to you soon enough but first, this story:
If there is one thing that I am learning about life as of late, it is that nothing is permanent. Expectations and forward-looking should always be held gently in our hands. Right now is all we have so we approach the future light-heartedly. Staying centered within the person we are will remind us that whether we have or have not should not matter as much as knowing who we are and knowing that we are more than what we have.
RELATED: Homemade GF Ice Cream Cones
It’s been a rough 2 months. I know I have been very vague about my life recently out of the need to have my privacy but I am ready to open up to you, dear friends, about what has been going on. My relationship of 5 1/2 years ended back in April in probably the best way anyone could ask for (I know this sounds weird–it’s weird for me to have experienced a break-up that ended in a beautiful way, but it’s true). We realized we were in each others’ lives for a reason up to that point but it was time to let go. Since then, as you know, I found a job as a gluten-free/vegan baker down in Orange County and I have been busy packing up my life here in the South Bay to move down and begin my newest chapter in life.
RELATED: Easiest Berry FroYo
Everything felt serendipitous. It all made sense and the stars were alligning. My life was moving forward and toward the direction that I have putting out there to the Universe. But as Alanis Morrisette so gracious sung about the irony of life, the job ended up falling through; in fact the entire restaurant/bakery just couldn’t open its doors. My heart sunk. How does everything seem so perfect and make so much sense only to find that it doesn’t and isn’t?
Two gluten free brownies sandwiching homemade vegan ice cream. Now this is what truly decadent vegan ice cream brownie sandwiches are made of!Print
- 1 c. Cara’s All Purpose GF Flour
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- 1/4 c. nondairy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. nondairy chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 9″ pan.
- Put the oil, maple syrup , soy milk and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spread out batter in the pan. Bake for 32-35 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool. Slice into squares.
- Place brownie squares in freezer for 15 min so they are not crumbly.
- Melt non-dairy chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second incriments, stirring at each stop until melted and smooth.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place 1/3 c. nondairy ice cream (I used my gluten-free and vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream recipe) between 2 semi-frozen brownie squares.
- Dip brownie sandwiches into bowl of melted chocolate and coat.
- Allow to set on a piece of wax paper.
- Freeze another 15 minutes.
RELATED: Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream
I took a walk down to the beach the day I found out about all of this (Monday). I was a total mess, friends. I know it’s just a job and another one is right around the corner and that I will be fine… but I had so much hope in this. It was the one thing that made me happy and was carrying me forward in the midst of such tranisition and change. My eyes were puffed up from tears. My brain couldn’t think of what to do next. And perspective came instantaneously…
A most tender moment that touched my heart so graciously. As I headed down the steps to the shore, I followed behind a woman with her daughter who was probably in her 20s. The mother had her hand gently along the back of her daughter the entire descension of those steps, as they slowly walked down. I noticed the scarf beautifully wrapped and tied around the daughter’s bald head and immediately understood she was recovering from a chemotherapy treatment.
Nothing is permanent in life. Enjoy what we have now. Especially when you have vegan ice cream brownie sandwiches in your hands.