Candy Cane Oreos. That’s right, you are not seeing incorrectly. Gluten free. Vegan. So just so we are clear, these are gluten-free vegan candy cane “Oreos.” Shall I go on? Or shall I allow the pictures to do all the talking? Maybe both? Okay, but mainly pictures.
When it comes to cookies, I don’t mess around. When the holidays approach, I immediately want to eat a Candy Cane Oreo from Trader Joe’s because I am classy like that. Now I know that Oreos are technically vegan but what happens when you find yourself unable to eat the gluten from the cookies?
What better baking experiment to partake in then to create a gluten-free and vegan holiday sprinkled Oreo, hand-dipped in chocolate and decorated with candy canes? I knew you would agree… Feel free to leave them undipped in chocolate if you so desire. Then again, everything tastes better with chocolate, right?
Gluten free Vegan Candy Cane “Oreos” are almost in your mouth:Print
- 1 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Flour Mix
- ¼ c. dark cocoa powder
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid (or non-hydrogenated shortening)
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 7 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 c. crushed candy canes (reserve half for sprinkling after chocolate dipping)
- 1 c. nondairy chocolate chips, melted (I use Enjoy Life)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or shortening)
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Using a fork, “cut” in the oil or shortening into the flour to create pea-sized bits. Add the remainder of the ingredients. Your dough should be smooth. If not, add 1 tablespoon at a tune until smooth.
- Roll half the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Cut into 2″ circles. Repeat with the second half of the dough. Should make 24 circle cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack (they will firm up the longer they sit).
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, whip up the Oreo filling ingredients (except the crushed cane canes) until smooth. Fold in 1/4 c. crushed candy canes. Pour into a plastic baggie and cut one corner out. Pipe the filling onto one cookie and then sandwich with another.
- In a shallow dish, combine the melted chocolate, mint, and shortening (or oil) until smooth. Dip each cookie into the melted mint chocolate and sprinkle with the remainder crushed candy canes. Allow to set on a piece of parchment paper until firm. You can either freeze or sit on the counter.
You can also view these bad boys as Honorable Mention for VegNews’ Holiday Cookie Contest (and see how I’ve since then updated the photos). The end.