Let the Brunch Off begin!
The secret ingredient given to me from the incredible lifestyle website BlissTree? Rhubarb.
- 1 c. Cara’s gluten-free flour mix
- 1 c. non-dairy milk + 1 Tb apple cider vinegar (allow to sit for 7-10 minutes)
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. thinly chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 c. thinly chopped strawberries
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a large Pyrex measuring cup (I like to use this because it’s easiest to pour the batter out onto the skillet but you can just use a bowl and scoop the batter out with a small measuring cup if you do not have a Pyrex).
- Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Allow to sit while you heat up the skillet.
- Pour batter onto the skillet and quickly place approximately 1 Tb of the chopped rhubarb and strawberries on the top of the batter. Cook until sides are bubbly and firm, then flip over. Cook until lightly brown.
- Serve with Strawberry-Rhubarb syrup (recipe below).
1/2 c. chopped rhubarb
1/2 c. chopped strawberries
1 Tb sugar
1/3 c. water
Place rhubarb, sugar and water into a small boiling pot. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Add strawberries and bring back to boil another 2 minutes.
Allow to cool a little and then place into a blender and mix until smooth. Be careful! It will be hot still. Feel free to add more sugar or water, depending on preference of sweetness and thickness. I prefer my syrup to be thicker and less sweeter.
Fail. At least for me. The flour sucked up all the liquid so the batter was like super thick mud. I added more milk, but then they never set up on the skillet, so they became a crispy skin with slime in the middle. Not sure what I did wrong…
So you don’t need xanthan gum to be added to the blend? Thanks!!!!!!
Not for this recipe, nope Vildan 🙂 xo
Its a truly awesome recipe. for years I struggled to make pancakes without eggs and now this. perfect. Not always using the fruit… just the basic recipe and maple syrup!
Oh, these look so delicious. I kind of want to make them right this minute!!!
And when you do, you shall call me right over 🙂
Have I told you how much I love your GF mix lately? Used it for baking all the goodies at my brother’s art show last week. No-one could tell my treats were gluten free. That’s right baby.
Oh and these pancakes are the shiz. xx
That makes me so happy to hear!! I am rather damn proud of that mix myself and so it’s nice to know there is someone else out there who likes it too 😉
Reba - Not So Perfect Life
I have never tried Rhubarb!… I read the description but its so confusing to me still!
If it weren’t for my mother, I would never know what rhubarb was. It’s not my favorite–it can be a bit tart–but mixed with some strawberries, it can be just right.
Brooke (Crackers on the Couch)
I love rhubarb! Great idea!
Gabby @ the veggie nook
Oh wow these are absolutely drool-worthy! Strawberry and rhubarb pie was always one of my favs, and now you’ve breakfast-ized it. Just amazing 🙂
Molly (Sprue Story)
So glad it’s rhubarb season! Asparagus, too! Just not in the same dish. (Maybe?)
Hmmmmm….now you have the wheels a’turnin’ 🙂
recipe is where?
Brooke (Crackers on the Couch)