I had to think fast on my feet today. I came home after breakfast with this grandiose plan to get candy-making done on my day off, in hopes that I could plan ahead for the rest of the week. But wouldn’t you know it, the flippin’ gas company was in the neighborhood and shut off everyone’s gas. Any hope for using the stove was a no-go.
When it comes to being in the kitchen (especially if candy is involved!) I don’t like taking no for an answer so I had the idea of using the microwave instead. I had no time to waste–it was an estimated 2 hours of no gas and I couldn’t afford the time. The end result? Just as good as any stove could do…
If you don’t like the thought of using the microwave, you can follow the cooking instructions here for stovetop lollipop making.Print
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. corn syrup
- 3–4 Tb water
- 2 drops all-natural green food coloring
- Green apple candy flavoring
- 1/2 c. Homemade Caramels, melted (recipe link below)
- 8 lollipop sticks
- Place sugar, water, and corn syrup into a microwave safe bowl and mix well.
- Cover tightly with a piece of plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.
- CAREFULLY remove the plastic wrap and stir the ingredients. Your wrap will most likely break apart at this point so tightly wrap again with another piece.
- Microwave for another 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Remove with oven mitts!
- Stir in coloring and flavor.
- In greased candy molds, pour the mixture in. Allow to set for 30 seconds and place the sticks in. The molds I used were on the thicker side so I was able to get 8 out of the mixture (if you do not have a candy mold, place a piece of parchment paper over a baking sheet. Line the lollipop sticks, leaving enough space for the tops of each lollipop. Spoon mixture over the top of the sticks. Please also note that if you are doing it this way, it will make more than 8 lollipops).
- Allow to set for 10 minutes or until completely firm.
- Dip lollipops into a small saucepan that is gently melting the caramels (be sure it is not on high so it is not burning it. Place of parchment to set.
For the Homemade Vegan Caramel recipe, click for the link here.