A fun Easter treat to make for the kids in your house (or your inner child). The delicate, melt-in-your mouth crackers are bursting with “cheezy” flavor despite the fact that they are vegan and gluten-free.
For the Crackers
- 1/4 c. superfine brown rice flour
- 1/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1/4 c. potato starch
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 c. vegan “cheese,” shredded (my store carries a block of vegan cheese and I thinly grate it).
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter, softened
- 1–2 Tbsp. ice water
For the “Cheezy” Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat vegan butter and cheeze together until blended nicely with a hand mixer. (Tip: If you want your vegan cheese to blend completely where minimal clumps are showing in your crackers, make sure it is at room temperature and just beat the crap out of it with your mixer and even the back of a fork. Show it who’s the boss, friends).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, starches, xanthan gum, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture into vegan butter/cheeze mix and beat until blended completely.
- Add water and stir in with a wooden spoon. If you need more water for a nice dough to form, add another tablespoon.
- Lightly knead and form two smooth balls. Chill for 15-20 minutes (optional–it just makes it a little easier to work with).
- With two pieces of parchment paper, roll out one of the balls until 1/4″ thick.
- Cut out with cookie cutter of choice (I used a mini bunny cutter that was 1-1 1/2″). Place on the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned along the edges.
- Allow to cool slightly and then dip into seasoning (see instructions below).
- Repeat with the other dough ball.
For the seasoning
- Blend together the ingredients for the seasoning in a small bowl. Dip crackers by the batches in the bowl and lightly coat.
- This dough is delicate. If you are having troubles with it, it’s best to chill it.
- Makes approx. 2 cups mini bunny crackers.