May I interrupt my recipe introduction for this glorious Vegan “Clam” Chowder today and just have a heart-to-heart with you, friend? Before I do, don’t forget that this the First Annual Fork & Beans Gluten-Free Vegan “Seafood” Bake. We already made “Scallops” from King Oyster Mushroom stems. Next on the menu:
Okay, back to the heart-to-heart. Have you ever had that existential moment where you have actually separated yourself from your self and can listen in on what you are saying to the people you come into contact with? Come on, I’m not trying to sound hokey right now, I promise. I am talking about awareness and those moments in life where you are actually hearing how others are perceiving you…
Recently I was hit hard with exactly that. You see, I have this incredible ability to beat myself up and shall we say fill my head with negative thoughts about myself? That sounds so self-deprecating…oh yes, probably because IT IS. I really felt blessed this week however to have several moments where as I was speaking to someone else (in my most uniquely self-abusive way) and was able to actually HEAR what I was saying. It stopped me in my tracks.
I had no idea of the yucky things I was thinking and saying until…boom, existential moment happened. It immediately made me so sad to hear that I was my own worst enemy. When did that happen? When did I become so against who I am? And then I looked around at my life and saw that I was attracting negative things based off of my negative thinking towards myself. I was stewing over negative emotions, negative memories and negative thoughts that kept me in this place of feeling “stuck.”
So lately I have been trying real hard to be more aware of those thoughts and to convert them into something a little less, well, mean. Dare I say supportive and more positive thoughts?Print
For the Mushroom “Clams”:
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped shiitake mushrooms (or whatever mushrooms you have on hand)
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed (not fresh celery)
- 1 tsp. vegan butter
For the Soup Base:
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed, finely chopped
- 3 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1/3 c. frozen corn
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 Tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. nondairy milk
- 1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
For the “Cream” base:
- 1 c. cauliflower, slightly steamed
- 3/4 c. nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked pepper
For the mushrooms:
- In a large saucepan (this is what you are using to make the soup so make sure it is big enough) sauté the mushrooms with the vegan butter over medium high heat.
- Add the white wine and stir until it is completely absorbed.
- Stir in the celery seed. Remove from heat and place the mushrooms on a separate plate.
For the “Cream” Sauce:
- Blend everything together in a high-speed blender. If it is too thick to blend add a tablespoon of nondairy milk at a time until desired consistency. Adjust seasonings according to preference.
For the Soup Base:
- Over medium-high heat, sauté the onions, celery, carrots, corn, and thyme together until the onions are translucent.
- Throw in the gluten-free flour and mix until well-combined.
- Add the broth and nondairy milk. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add the potatoes and cream base. Allow to fully heat through (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and chopped parsley last and heat another 2-3 minutes.
- Season according to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Setting my intentions for the day really helps me to focus on the good things. To be grateful and appreciative for what I have and not worry about the things that I don’t have.
Curious, how do YOU get yourself out of a funk?
Today, I set my intention to speak kindly to and about myself. Today, I will not compare myself to anyone else. Today, I will be happy with what I have, especially with a bowl of vegan “clam” chowder on my side…