I have and always will have a super soft spot for S’mores. There is something quintessential about the flavor combination that brings me back to acting like a 7 year old girl. I used to eat Pop Tarts, cereal, granola bars, or any dessert (heck, make that a breakfast food too) that was a combination of chocolate, marshmallow, and graham crackers. I would microwave them, cook them over a campfire (the rare times that I would go camping), or throw a darn fluffy marshmallow onto a stick and roast it over the stove. I didn’t care how I had it, you could just guarantee that if it was in S’mores form, I would buy it. And eat it.
This summer, however, needs a more spectacular, more creative and fun, and more of a grown-up version of S’mores. And since it’s been so dang warm this entire year I think a scoop of vegan chocolate ice cream filled with vegan marshmallows and mini chocolate chips sandwiched between two gluten-free “graham” cracker cookies creates the most satisfyingly S’mores ice cream sandwich a girl can ask for.
S’mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Yield: 8 1x
A more grown-up and allergen-friendly way to enjoy your S’mores by the campfire.
Dry Ingredients for the “Graham” Crackers
- 1/3 c. superfine brown rice flour
- 1/3 c. sorghum flour
- 1/3 c. arrowroot powder
- 1/4 c. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp. Teff flour
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
Wet Ingredients for “Graham” Crackers
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid (or chilled shortening or vegan butter)
- 1 Tbsp. unsulphered molasses
- 2–3 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
For the Ice Cream
- 16 oz. store-bought nondairy chocolate ice cream of choice
- 1/4 c. mini vegan chocolate chips
- 8 mini vegan marshmallows, roughly chopped up
For the “Graham” Crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together for the graham crackers in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, incorporate solid coconut oil into flour until crumbs forms.
- Place the remainder of the wet ingredients into flour mix until smooth and combined. Start with 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk to begin with and if it needs more liquid to create a smooth ball, add another tablespoon. Make into a dough ball and smooth out with your hands.
- Divide into two balls. Roll out one ball onto a piece of parchment to 1/4′” thickness (or desired thickness).
- Using a 3″ cookie/biscuit cutter, cut out circles from the dough (or form into shape and size of choice).
- Take a fork and gently poke holes into dough and sprinkle with raw sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies), or until lightly browned along the edges. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
For the Ice Cream
- Allow the ice cream to soften up in order to easily stir in the add-ins. You might have leftover graham crackers depending on their size. If so, simply crush them up and add them into the ice cream along with the vegan marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Place it into a covered container and re-freeze until solid.
- Gently scoop out ice cream between two graham crackers and enjoy.
Sometimes it’s okay to indulge a little. I always tend to make an exception when anything graham cracker, marshmallow and chocolate is involved…
Have any questions on gluten-free flours and need to replace what’s in the recipe? No worries! Check out this guide on gluten-free flours created just for you. Also, you still have 3 weeks left to preorder my all-baking cookbook coming out August 5th.
The best part of ordering it now and waiting for it to arrive? You get a discount! And who doesn’t like saving money?? I love that…almost as much as I love S’mores.
Pat @ Elegantly, Gluten-Free
That is a stunning tower of enticement you have pictured! I’d love it, I’m sure!
I still have 3 in the freezer with your name on them Pat 🙂
Pat @ Elegantly, Gluten-Free
Hey, I’ll be right over! I wish 🙁
I’m thinking of a fancy twist on this: making coconut milk ice cream in my ice cream maker and just throwing the marshmellows and choco chips in 🙂 Mmmm. I don’t like storebought dairy free ice cream as much as homemade.
K. / Pure & Complex
Oh my… I think I’m in love and found my new summer time guilty pleasure. These look absolutely amazing.
Dern, how’d I miss this? Marshmallow anything and like you say microwave, over the stove, in the fireplace. Now accepting applications from House Elves.
You were too busy counting down the days to the cookbook 😉 How do you feel about being my Kitchen Manager of Elves???
you are speaking my language. i could and would eat probably 10-15 s’mores around a campfire. my belly was a bottomless pit for anything cookie/chocolate/dessert. also, were s’mores pop tarts your favorite, too? because they were mine. ohmygosh they were so good.
I might have lost you on the Otter Pops but I knew that I would get you on the S’mores 😉
Well When I was 7 years old I was made up of Dorito’s, little Debbie snacks, reeses, pizza and nuggets. Now not so much, your recipe looks lovingly divine. Hope your well and feel better since your cleanse…Keep posting .
Sounds like we would have made great gal buddies back in the day. I’d give you a can of Coke for your bag of Doritos 🙂 Great hearing from you, xoxo!
Thank you Vicky!