So let me preface this post by saying that a regular Chocolate Egg Cream Soda does not contain neither egg nor cream. Why it is called egg cream, there are various reasons, however if this soda fountain drink is done correct, it tastes creamy and fizzy. This vegan version is just as divine and refreshing as it’s original counterpart.
Er, I mean, it’s spooky, gross, and looks like it came from a swamp, ergo the name Halloween Swamp Water.Print
For the Syrup:
- 2 Tbsp. dark cacao powder (or use regular cocoa powder)
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 c. nondairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- sparkling water
- Whisk together the chocolate syrup ingredients until smooth. Add the nondairy milk and whisk until perfectly blended.
- Split between two 8 oz. glasses.
- Fill the rest up with sparkling water until bubbly.
- Serving Size: 1 Egg Cream
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 5mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
It’s like a chocolate milk drink taken to the next degree, full of fizzy carbonation. Oh carbonation I heart you. I don’t drink soda of any kind anymore but I do love beer. Look at me, talking about beer when it’s not even called for. This comes as no surprise though. Where am I?
What I love about this is how decadent and creamy this vegan Chocolate Egg Cream Soda tastes like but looks like but at the same time looks like utter swamp water–the perfect Halloween party beverage!
Give it a whirl…and if you do, I’d love to see it on Instagram…