- 1/2 c. non-hydrogenated shortening (or you can use nondairy butter)
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp. warm water (mix and set for 5 minutes)
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. nondairy chocolate chips
- 9 pieces of Sea Salt Cocomel’s Caramels, each cut into little pieces
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip up the shortening and sugars together until well-blended.
- Add the flax “egg” and blend in. Add the vanilla and nondairy milk and mix until blended.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add half into the shortening mix and blend in with the electric mixer. Add the remainder of the dough and repeat. If your dough does not roll up into a ball and you find it crumbly, add another tablespoon of nondairy milk.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of cookie dough into a ball. Place 1 piece of the caramel into the middle of the ball and smooth over to ensure that it cannot be seen. Repeat for the remainder of the dough.
- Place on the baking sheet 2″ apart and bake for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool down on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Some of your cookies will drool out caramel and that is completely okay. If that happens all you have to do is take a spatula and gently bring the caramel and cookie together and intact.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 114mg
- Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 1.6g