You know that period of time in your life when you are trying to really watch what you eat because you are currently in the midst of another round of tons of testing with you doctor but then you make these vegan candy bar-stuffed brownies because you have had them planned for a few weeks now and you decide that they smell way too good NOT to have just a small piece? So you eat one and want to drift away into vegan gluten-free heaven because that is exactly what they taste like. What? Is that just me?
My sugar intake has been at an all-time low this past week due to the above mentioned and I haven’t really minded it much…until today when these darn things came out of the oven. I need to get a new job. It was just a small slice, I promise and I also promise that it was worth every bite. A moist, cake-like gluten-free vegan brownie that has been stuffed with vegan Twilights (think Milky Ways), Cleo’s Cups (think Peanut Butter Cups), and No Whey Minis (think Snickers, minus the peanuts), and as if that wasn’t enough, topped off with a coat of nondairy chocolate chips, melted to perfection.
Rich, chocolatey gluten free brownies stuffed with vegan candy bars. It’s like a toothache heaven!
- 1 1/4 c. Cara’s All Purpose GF Flour
- 1/3 c. unsweetened dark cocoa powder (or use regular cocoa powder)
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. mild-flavored oil of choice
- 1/4 c. boiling water
- 1 c. vegan candy bars of choice, chopped
- 1 1/2 c. nondairy chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 pan. You might even want to dust the sides and bottom with gluten-free flour to keep it from sticking.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon. Fold in chopped up candy bars.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until firm along the edges. Don’t freak out when you see that some of the candy bars leave holes in the brownies once melted. That is what the melted chocolate chips are for (see step 6): to cover up the gaps and make this recipe extra decadent.
- Dump the chocolate chips evenly on top of the brownies and place back into the oven fro 3-4 minutes. Remove pan and smooth over with the back of a spoon. Allow to set for a couple of hours on the counter or place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 Brownie
- Calories: 250
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4g
One taste of these vegan candy bar-stuffed brownies and you and your loved ones will never turn back on your gluten-free vegan lifestyle. They’re THAT good…
Here is the flour blend that I use:
If you need a recommendation for flour substitutes, this is a great post to read.
This has been a post for the month-long blogging event celebrating vegan food known as Vegan MoFo.