As much as I have a ton of Halloween recipes that are laden with sugar, I’m equally as focused on making fun, spooky yet healthy Halloween treats for the kiddos or party guests. Or for you. There is no age old enough to enjoy the holidays; I will be 80 years old and still going strong on my Halloween celebration. Sometimes all you need is an apple shaped as a mouth and stuffed with sunflower seed butter and strawberry “tongue” slices to convey the message, Hey man, Happy Halloween! These Apple Sunbutter Teeth Bites stand as an homage to my Vampire Apple Bites I created three years ago. Think of it like apples gone wild. Or something like that.*
I am now on Day 2 completely off of sugar and so some of the crazy things that are coming out of my mouth can be explained by said fact and may be disregarded as crazy sugar-free talk.
As you can see from the picture below, they don’t need to be cut perfectly. The Sunflower Seed Butter will cover a multitude of sins so there is no need to stress on perfection. I don’t know about you but that is like music to my ears. Just imagine what they are going to transform into…
- 3 apples, cut vertically in half
- 6 Tbsp. sunflower seed butter (or favorite nut butter of choice)
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- sunflower seeds for the teeth
- Take each apple half and gently carve out the mouth with a small knife.
- Stuff the inside with 1 Tbsp. sunflower butter.
- Carefully place the sunflower seeds into the “gums” of the apple and then decorate with a strawberry “tongue” slice.
- Serving Size: 1 Vampire Bite
- Calories: 140 calories
- Fat: 7 g
Please note that the fake, plastic flies really are imperative to creating this recipe. Why is that so? Because they up the creepy and disgusting factor, perfect for grossing out your guests. You can’t have a Halloween celebration without grossed out people. It’s science, you guys.
Are you on Instagram? Come follow me and the craziness over there on my account. I would love to connect with you!