I know I should be posting fall recipes and stuff to get you into the mood for Thanksgiving. That is supposed to be part of my job as a food blogger, right? Well, I don’t want to. ha. I’m revolting like a 4 year old. The truth is that I am a woman obsessed with making as many gluten free vegan yellow cake variations as possible. On Instagram yesterday I teased you with a photo of Funfetti cupcakes (which are coming soon!) If you don’t follow me on Instagram, here is what happened. It took me six attempts to get those darn things right. SIX. And now that I have, I am unstoppable. It’s been years coming really, all thanks to my LIGHT gluten free flour blend, really...
RELATED: GF/Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
At first I tried using aquafaba as an egg replacer (you’ve heard of aquafaba right? It’s basically the brine from a can of chickpeas. Well, that is for another day…) I even tried using cooked quinoa (I know, I was getting out of control at this point). Nothing. Everything was a bust. By the way, did you know I created this Guide to Egg Substitutions? You got it! With all that effort I decided to use the help of my trusted Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. I omitted the cocoa powder but used the ingredient structure for help. I don’t know why I deviated in the first place because this is what worked. I should have known… Stay with what you know, right? Well, I tried, and I did for you! My birthday is also next week but that is irrelevant. I did it for YOU (wink). Okay, I did it for me too.
RELATED: GF/V Chocolate Happy Birthday Cake
You are almost on your way to the most perfect gluten free vegan Yellow Cake heaven:Print
- 2 1/2 c. my Light Gluten free Flour Blend (or use store bought)
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum (or omit if using a blend that already includes it)
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 3/4 c. nondairy milk
- 1/2 c. oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 c. nondairy butter, room temp
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1–2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8″ round cake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients just until a nice batter evolves. Depending on the flour blend, your batter may vary. Mine was a little on the thicker side. Evenly divide into both cake pans. .
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops of the cakes bounce back when gently touched and the edges are lightly browned. Depending on your oven you might need to bake longer. Keep an eye after the first 20 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, with an electric mixer, whip up the shortening and buttah together until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. It will be clumpy.
- Add the vanilla and milk until nice and fluffy. If too runny add a tablespoon of powdered sugar until firm and fluffy. Add a tsp of milk at a time if too stiff.
- Make sure the cake is completely cool before you frost it. Start with the bottom cake layer by spreading it with a thinner layer of frosting first. Place the other cake layer on top cake and finish frosting. FROSTING TIPS: If you have troubles with spreading the frosting without taking the top layer of the cake off, simply place the cakes into the freezer for 15 minutes. Place a big chunk of the frosting in the middle of the cake and work your way out. Also, try dipping the back of a spatula with warm water before spreading each time. This will keep it from sticking to the frosting and break up the cake.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 535
- Sugar: 47g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 4.7g
RELATED: GF/Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipes notes for Gluten Free Vegan Yellow Cake:
- If you cannot have brown or white rice flour or even certain starches, use this gluten free flour guide as a means to understanding good substitutes.
- You need the xanthan gum in this recipe. It will crumble without it. If you are willing to brave without it, go with yo bad self!
- You can substitute lemon juice for the apple cider vinegar.
- For the frosting, you can use all nondairy butter or all shortening instead of half and half.
Enjoy yourself some cake!