Turkeys get all the love in the food art these days but what about the Pilgrims? Where is the homage to them and their hats? Funny because I was thinking the same thing the other day and knew that I needed to add some variety to Thanksgiving. Since you must know by now that I have a thing for Surprise Hats (see my Halloween version, oh and there’s a Christmas one coming too–I bet you saw that coming though!), I knew it would be a fun way to use up my leftover gluten free ice cream cones up from summer. I mean, it’s FINALLY getting cooler here (praise you, weather gods) and so I am hoping ice cream isn’t happening for a while. They’ll make better use for these Surprise Pilgrim Hats, methinks.
I love the variety an edible snack like this gives you. You don’t have to follow the recipe exactly and can add or subtract whatever works (or doesn’t work) for your family. Don’t want to stuff your Surprise Pilgrim Hats with allergen friendly candies? Give a healthier trail mix a try OR even consider a non-edible toy as an option!
Making these easy edible Thanksgiving treats are easier than 1-2-3. Check out the instructions for these Surprise Pilgrim Hats:Print
Surprise Pilgrim Hats
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 Pilgrim Hats 1x
This is fun, edible activity to participate in with your little ones over Thanksgiving break! It’s all allergen friendly too so it’s a safe yet festive way to celebrate the holidays.
- 5 gluten free ice cream cones
- 5 store bought gluten free sugar cookies (I use Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 c. nondairy chocolate, melted (I use Enjoy Life)
- 5 vegan gummy candies (Trader Joe’s)
- allergen friendly (like NoNo’s and Surf Sweets) candies or trail mix to stuff with
- Dip the ice cream cones into the melted chocolate to coat the tops. Place the edible goodies inside the cone and then place on top of the cookie.
- Secure the gummy candy on the cone (you might need to place something underneath to allow to set so it doesn’t fall off).
- Repeat for each cone.
- Take the leftover melted chocolate and pipe it along the edge where the cookie and ice cream cone meet. Pipe a belt buckle over the gummy candy.
How awesome is it that all of those candies in this photo below are gluten free and vegan?! Man, things have greatly changed in the past several years since I started this journey. The options available are beyond imaginable. Imagine what another 4 years will bring…
Get into the Thanksgiving spirit with these Surprise Pilgrim Hats!
Love this idea! Takes me back to my childhood 😀