As somebody who is always trying to find healthier alternatives for feeding my small family (okay, so it’s just me and my husband, but still…), FlatOut bread usually saves the day. Whether it’s the Wraps (a gluten free version too!), Fold-Its, and Pizza Crust, we both, hands down, LOVE this stuff. Our cupboards are stocked with several packages at all times and so I love trying to get creative in finding new ways to introduce the wraps into our meals. Being a native Californian, I am, by law, required to love Mexican food (which I do, I mean, it’s the law right?). But the downside is that it isn’t necessarily known to be on the healthier side. That is, until now. I thought outside the box for these Baked Taco Salads and used a *baked* FlatOut wrap for the shell. Filled with super food ingredients like quinoa and kale, this healthier salad is drizzled with a homemade dairy free cilantro lime dressing. This is Mexican food I can get used to, even if it is healthy.
RELATED: Cauliflower Spanish “Rice”
Loaded with tons of clean-eating foods that you can feel good about feeding to your family, these baked taco salads are a guaranteed meal in your weekly menu rotation. Top it off with lots of freshly made guacamole, plain Greek style dairy free yogurt (my favorite sour cream substitute), sliced black olives and jalapenos, my goodness! This will feed you for days.
RELATED: Hearts of Palm Taquitos
I made a video to show you how I made the FlatOut wraps into baked shells. You can also place a ball of aluminum foil inside the wrap after you use the toothpicks to hold the sides together to secure it into shape if you need to. Keep your eye on the shells after 5 minutes. They burn quickly after this point so stay close in order to make sure they are evenly baked.
- 3 FlatOut wraps
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 c. cooked quinoa (1/4 c. dried quinoa + 1/2 c. water = boil, covered for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 c. frozen corn, warmed up in a skillet
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 c. kale, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/2 c. raw cashews
- 1/4 c. water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1 lemon wedge
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 of jalapeno (include seeds for spicier dressing)
- pinch of sea salt
- handful cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a wrap over a bowl and pinch the sides together and hold together with a toothpick. If you need, place a ball of aluminum foil inside the shell to hold the shape. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the shell is nicely browned. Remove the toothpicks.
- Blend the ingredients together (except for the cilantro for the dressing in a high speed blender until smooth. Add the cilantro and roughly blend.
- Massage the dressing into the chopped kale.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix together until well combined.
- Place the salad into the baked shell. Top with freshly made guacamole, dairy free Greek style plain yogurt (a great sour cream substitute), and sliced black olives and fresh jalapenos.
Check out my video on how to make Baked Taco Salads with FlatOut wraps as the shell:
Now don’t take my word for it. You too will be hearing your husband (or loved one) say, “Man, I love these wraps!” every time he/she takes a bite out of one of them.
RELATED: Quinoa Taco “Meat”
If you are looking for a store near you that sells FlatOut products, check here. They are usually in the bakery section at your local grocery store.
This post has been compensated by FlatOut however all opinion and text are my own. To learn more about my sponsors, read here.