For the icing:
- 1 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- several shakes of dried turmeric, for yellow coloring
For the baby chick:
- homemade googly eyes
- orange allergen friendly jelly beans (I used Surf Sweets), for the beak and feet
- sliced almonds, for the wings
- red hots, for the top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini donut pan.
- In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients together until fully combined. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add all the remainder of wet ingredients. Stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir again briefly.
- Place the donut batter into a large plastic baggie. Cut the corner of one side to use as an opening. Pour out the batter into the pan. The batter should fill up to about ⅔ of the circle and will rise just above the pan.
- Bake 8 minutes. Allow to slightly cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing together until you have a thick consistency. If it’s too thick to dip, add 1 tsp. hot water and mix. If it’s too runny, add 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar until thick.
- Dunk each donut top into the icing to evenly coat. Set back on wire rack with a piece of wax or parchment paper underneath to catch the extra drippings.
- Quickly add the googly eyes, jelly bean beak and feet, almond slice wings, and red hot tops before the icing dries. Allow to fully set.