It’s been almost three weeks now since my mother’s passing. There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t think about her, cry some, feel that deep sense of loss without her here, and vacillate between the five stages of grief probably every 10 minutes of every day. My mother was the light of my life so to not have her physically here has been the biggest adjustment. But the access to her spirit on a moment-to-moment basis has been the rather surprising (and extremely comforting) part for me.
One of the unexpected ways I have been able to access her has been through my creativity, something that we both shared in this life. Because of that, I have been having some of my most creative work recently. I feel my mother very deeply in my kitchen, almost like she is influencing my creativity, and so I find myself happily throwing myself into recipe creation over here and turning my food into fun creations, especially these Nut Free Donut Bears.
There is nothing like being able to find a ray of sunshine in the midst of sorrow and these nut free donut bears prove that there is always to smile about. I mean, just look at them…how can you not smile?! I’m smiling!Print
- 1 recipe plain donuts (or use store bought)
- 1/2 c. Top 8 free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life), melted
- 1/2 c. dairy free white chocolate, melted
- homemade edible googly eyes
- dark chocolate discs
- allergy free mini cookies (like Home Free cookies)
- jelly beans (like Surf Sweets)
- dairy free chocolate sprinkles
- After your donuts have fully cooled, dip half into the melted chocolate chips and the other half into the melted white chocolate.
- Very carefully insert the chocolate discs for the ears.
- Add either the chocolate discs or the mini cookies (depending on the color) for the nose area. Using the melted chocolate as glue, secure a jelly bean for the nose.
- Add the eyes.
- After the white chocolate bears have set, you can dip their bottoms into the regular chocolate if you want and coat with chocolate sprinkles.
- Allow to fully set.
It’s moments like these that remind me that everything is going to be alright. I just need a cup of coffee now…