Celebrate spring by turning your favorite gluten free pretzels into these sprinkle and candy-filled edible Pretzel Butterflies!
I’m comforted by all things that flutter, whether it is a hummingbird (or any bird for that matter) or butterflies. It’s funny how when someone you dearly love passes away, you tend to associate their spirit with a particular animal. I think there is just a deep consolation when you see that animal, it’s as if your loved one is to coming to you to let you know they still see you and that they are there. On Easter, a hummingbird came eye level and fluttered around for a few minutes right by my face and I knew it was my mom saying hi. I greeted her back with a big smile, wave and a cheery, “Hi mom!” (see, I told you I talk to nature and hug trees). I stood for another minute after she flew away and felt a deep sense of comfort.
Pretzel Butterflies Material Needs:
- gluten free pretzels
- dairy free white chocolate
- dairy free chocolate (I prefer Enjoy Life Foods)
- gluten free red hot candies
- allergen friendly jelly beans
Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter. “Glue” two pretzels together with melted dairy free white chocolate. Fill the gaps of the pretzels with the white chocolate with using either a toothpick or piping it in a bag (whatever is easier for you) and immediately fill in with sprinkles, jelly beans or candies of choice.
Add a layer of melted chocolate in the middle of the two pretzels. Secure three red hots over the chocolate. “Glue” 2 pieces of pretzels for the antennae. Allow to completely set.
Watch the gluten free metamorphosis of these Pretzel Butterflies before your very own eyes:Print
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 10 Pretzel Butterflies 1x
Completely inspired by these butterflies on Pinterest.
- 20 gluten free whole pretzels
- 20 pretzels pieces, for the antennae
- 1/2 c. dairy free white chocolate, melted
- 2 Tbsp. dairy free chocolate, melted
- 30 red hots
- candies of choice (allergen friendly jelly beans, sprinkles, etc.)
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the counter. “Glue” two pretzels together with melted dairy free white chocolate.
- Fill the gaps of the pretzels with the white chocolate and immediately fill in with sprinkles or jelly beans or candies of choice.
- Add a layer of melted chocolate in the middle of the two pretzels.
- Secure three red hots over the chocolate. “Glue” 2 pieces of pretzels for the antennae. Allow to completely set.
You can have fun with these Pretzel Butterflies just by making this edible food craft or you can even top them on homemade gluten free vegan cupcakes (chocolate, vanilla, or funfetti) for a nice Earth Day or butterfly-loving dessert. OR maybe butterflies remind you of your loved one and you just want to make these just to honor them.
Whatever your reasoning is, these Pretzel Butterflies will bring a smile to your face and anyone who watches their transformation take place.
I saw a squirrel the other day along with a cardinal. I thought the same about Mom except she was the squirrel. Made me laugh for two reasons…she loved squirrels and would always cry out, “CRITTER” every time she saw one. But then my second thought was, “Ew Mom is that really you? A squirrel is a rodent!!!” Haha. I knew she was probably tickled by that whole exchange. So…maybe you can get a hummingbird tattoo? I’ll get a squirrel. Hahahahahhaha
Well, what I didn’t say is that there are lots of lizards here and any time I cross one, I think of mom too. I guess it’s safe to say that all animal life is mom’s spirit 🙂 Oh and…CRITTER!
Love these. They are adorable… just like you!
Oh friend, thank you for all your incredible support.