- 1 recipe gluten free chocolate cupcakes
For the Frosting:
- 1/3 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. dark cocoa powder (or use regular)
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
For the Moss:
- 3 c. gluten free cereal (like Chex, etc) or pretzels, crushed
- couple drops all natural green food coloring and water to mix evenly into cereal
For the Mushrooms:
- 20 strawberry tips
- 20 marshmallows
- 10 toothpicks, broken in half
For the Cactus:
- 4 kiwis, peeled
- 4 raspberries, for top
- chocolate sprinkles, for the prickles
For the Lotus Flower:
- 2 kiwis (Follow instructions here on how to make)
- 4 blackberries
For the Rocks:
- 2 c. marshmallows
- all natural black food coloring (find online at Natural Candy Store)
- clean paint brush
For the Soil:
- cacao nibs
- See recipe notes for make ahead prep!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Follow the instructions here for the cupcakes. Allow to fully cool.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, line the counter with parchment paper. Add a few drops of the black food coloring in a small bowl with equal parts water. Mix together and paint the marshmallows until evenly colored. Allow to dry.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the frosting with an electric mixer over medium speed until fluffy. Add more milk if needed. Lightly frost each cupcake.
For each Terrarium:
- Use a 7″ terracotta bottom for the terrarium holder. Cover with the crushed green cereal “moss” and add 3 cupcakes.
- On one cupcake, add three strawberry marshmallow mushrooms. Use half of the toothpick to hold together and keep in place in the cupcake. Add a few marshmallow rocks and some cereal moss.
- On another cupcake, add the kiwi cactus and a strawberry marshmallow mushroom. Lightly throw some cereal moss and cacao nibs on the frosting.
- For the last cupcake, add the kiwi lotus flower.
- Scatter more marshmallow rocks on the floor of the terrarium along with cacao nibs. Maybe add another strawberry marshmallow mushroom and top off with an adorable gnome (optional).
For make-ahead prep:
Bake the cupcakes the night before and store in an air-tighter container in the fridge after they have fully cooled.
Paint the marshmallows and allow to fully dry overnight.
Crush the cereal and mix in the green food coloring to evenly color. Allow to fully dry overnight.