For the Crust:
- 3 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Blend
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2/3 c. shortening
- 2/3 c. ice water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
For the Pot Pie Filling:
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 c. gluten free flour
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 1/4 c. nondairy milk
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 c. frozen peas
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
For the crust:
- Whisk together the flour, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder in a large bowl until mixed thoroughly. Add shortening and stir until it is mixed into flour. You might need to get those fingers dirty and mix with your hands. Add the ice water in 1/3 c. at a time. You want just enough to get the dough to stick together but not too much to make it wet.
- Knead with your hands until you have smooth dough formed. Cover and chill while you prepare the filling.
- Saute your onions in olive oil for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add paprika, thyme and flour and mix well. Add nondairy milk and vegetable broth.
- Add the carrots, peas and beans and bring to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Take a small chunk of dough and roll out between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll out to 1/4″ thickness and slightly bigger than your palm (see recipe tutorial). Gently place into a greased muffin tin. If the dough rips, do not freak out. Using your fingers, gently push it back together.
- Repeat with another same sized dough, trim and place on top. Gently seal the edges together by pinching it with your fingers.
- Take a knife and place a few slits through the top. Brush with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes or until top has browned.