- 1 1/2 c. Cara’s gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. nondairy butter, chilled and cubed
- 4 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1–5 Tbsp. ice cold water (see directions for clarification)
For the filling:
- 6 Tbsp. strawberry jam
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
For the icing:
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- food coloring
- Whisk the flour, xanthan gum, and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add the non dairy butter and shortening into flour mixture and blend with a fork until dough forms into small lumps.
- Add a tablespoon of chilled water at a time (you may only need up to 5 tablespoons total) until dough is cohesive but not too sticky. Divide and roll into 4 balls. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the filling, combine both ingredients in a small bowl.
- Take one ball of dough out of the fridge and in between 2 sheets of parchment paper, roll into a 12″x6″ rectangle and 1/4″ flat. Using a pie cutter, gently cut out 2 rectangles.Transfer to a baking sheet with a metal spatula.
- Place 1 Tbsp. of the jam mixture on top of both dough rectangles, leaving 1/2″ border along the edges.
- Repeat with the next ball of dough. This time, place on top of the jam-filled recatngles already on the baking sheet. Gently take your finger and press down along the edges of the poptart. Follow that with a fork and make indentations to ensure that it is closed and no jam can escape. Poke the tops with the fork.
- Repeat until you have 6 total pop tarts made. Bake 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- For the icing, combine sugar into melted oil. Add vanilla, food coloring, and water until thick but thin enough to stir with ease. Add more water if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin. Top pop tarts with icing and add sprinkles immediately. Allow to set for 10 minutes.