- 1 c. coconut milk (full or low fat)
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/4 c. pure maple syrup (or corn syrup if you like)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- juice of 1 lemon wedge
- 2 pinches of ground Himalayan salt (omit if you don’t like the sweet/salty taste)
- 1. Throw all the ingredients into a small saucepan (except for the vanilla, lemon juice and salt) and melt on medium heat. Stir continuously. Once mixture begins to boil, add candy thermometer. Leave alone without stirring until it reaches between the soft and hard ball stages (250-275* F). Please note that it will take awhile for your caramels to get up to 250*. You can always remove them from the heat anywhere after 240* if you don’t want to wait–they will be softer and melt a little quicker once it hits room temp but still taste just as good. Know that if you want to wait for 250+* it will spike quickly once it does go past 250* so don’t go anywhere! You don’t want it to burn.
- 2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, lemon, and salt.
- 3. Pour onto parchment paper-lined 8×8 pan (or your choice, depending how thick you want your caramels to be).
- 4. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Chill in fridge 30-60 minutes or until set.
- 5. Cut into squares or rectangles with kitchen scissors or a knife. Wrap in precut wax paper and store in fridge.