Recipe reprinted with permission by Natalie Slater
For the cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (for the gluten-free: use gf all-purpose flour blend + 1 tsp xanthan gum)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup coarsely chopped vegan graham crackers
For the marshmallow frosting
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- 1 & ½ cups Ricemellow Creme*
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1–2 Tbs non-dairy milk as needed
- Feel free to make your own vegan marshmallow fluff in place of using Ricemellow Creme; or use your favorite vegan vanilla buttercream recipe in lieu of this frosting.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F and line one cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the water, oil, and apple cider vinegar until just mixed. Fold in the chocolate chips and graham crackers.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan – filling each cup about ⅔ full. Bake 22-25 minutes, or until
- the tops spring back when lightly touched with your finger.
- Place pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely.
To make the marshmallow frosting
- Beat the margarine and Ricemellow Creme together for 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, then add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time until well incorporated. If the frosting is too loose, add a bit more sugar. If it’s too stiff, add a bit of non-dairy milk.
- Top each cupcake with a plop of frosting and sprinkle with more chocolate chips and
- graham cracker crumbs.