- 1/3 c. vegan butter
- 1/3 c. shortening
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. Ener-G Egg replacer + 2 Tb water
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- natural food coloring (red and yellow for orange)
- 2 c. Cara’s All-Purpose flour blend
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
Royal Icing (combine until thick):
- ½ c. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. water
- Red and yellow all natural food coloring
- Pumpkin cookie cutter
- Circle cookie cutter (must be small enough to fit inside middle of pumpkin cutter)
- Sprinkles/candy of choice for the inside of the cookies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thoroughly cream the shortening, butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Add egg replacer and milk until light and fluffy. Add the orange food coloring and mix. Whisk flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl. Add flour into the creamed mixture until combined. Divide the dough in half, cover in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll the dough out to ¼” thickness. Cut into pumpkins with cutters. For each pumpkin set, you will need 4 cookies; 2 of which will need circles cut out of them prior to placing them into the oven. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To assemble cookies:
- Place the bottom pumpkin cookie (without a circle cut-out) first.
- Outline the cookie with the royal icing. Place a cookie with a circle cut out on top. Press firmly to set. Repeat with another circle cut out pumpkin cookie.
- Place sprinkles, candy or whatever you please inside the hollow center. Outline with royal icing and close with remaining pumpkin cookie (without a circle cut-out). Allow to set for 15 minutes.