These delightfully lemon sugar cookies are the perfect Easter treat for your kids who are unable to eat gluten, eggs, and/or dairy.
- 1/2 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1/4 c. vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer + 2 Tbsp. warm water – whisk until frothy
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 c. superfine brown rice flour
- 3/4 c. sorghum flour
- 1/2 c. arrowroot powder
- 1/2 c. potato starch
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid (or shortening)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
For the decoration
- vegan marshmallows
- raw sugar for garnish (optional)
For the cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (except for the sugar).
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and butter together with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the sugar and beat in until fluffy. Add the Ener-G egg replacer, lemon juice and zest until just combined.
- Pour in half of the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon until mixed in. Stir in the other half of the flour.
- Chill the dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Between two pieces of parchment paper roll out 1/3 of the dough. Please read the post about the dough before going to this step.
- Roll out into 1/4″ thickness. Cut out with a bunny cookie cutter and gently transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned along the edges. If you want them on the softer side, bake for 7-8 minutes. If you want a crunchier cookie, bake around 9-10 minutes. Regardless of the time you bake them at, when you take the sheet out of the oven let the cookies sit for 2-3 minutes and then allow to *completely* cool on a wire rack. Repeat the above steps until all the dough has been used.
For the icing
- Whisk the powdered sugar and turmeric together.
- Cut in the coconut oil (or shortening) until blended in.
- Add the lemon juice and stir until a thick paste (yet still able to spread) has formed. If you need more liquid, add 1 tsp. of non-dairy milk until desired consistency is reached.
For the assembly
- Once the cookies have cooled, take approx. 1 tsp. of the icing and spread over each cookie.
- Place the vegan marshmallow in the correct spot to set. Sprinkle and garnish with raw sugar (optional).
- Makes approximately two dozen 4″ bunny cookies.