Made from homemade cashew milk that has been seasoned with cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg, this vegan flan is the perfect after-dinner vegan treat for that big Cinco de Mayo feast!
- 1/4 c. raw cashews
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (can be omitted–this just gives a smoother flavor)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. agar flakes (not agar powder)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
For the syrup
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Two 5 1/2” x 2 1/2″ mini pie pans
- In a high-speed blender, mix the cashews and water until completely smooth.
- Place the cashew milk into a medium saucepan and whisk in the agar flakes and sugar. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Allow the sugar and agar to completely dissolve and boil lightly on simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Remove from the heat and allow to cool down in the saucepan for 10 minutes.
- While the flan is cooling down, heat up the sugar and water for the filling in the microwave just for 15-25 seconds, enough to melt it only. Evenly place on the bottom of the mini pie pan.
- Pour the flan filling into both pans over the syrup until evenly distributed.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a good 1-2 hours or until set.
- Gently take a knife to cut along the sides and the bottom to remove. Be patient with this. Good things come to those who wait.
- 2 of these will serve 4 people when they are fully filled to the brim. If you want, you can fill four mini pie pans instead of two and fill them up halfway for 1 serving.
- Serve with coffee spiked with cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 4