- 2 1/2 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Blend
- 1/2 c. dark cocoa powder (or use regular cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening
- few drops of gluten-free vegan orange food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until a nice dough forms. It might be a little crumbly; simply place the dough on a piece of parchment paper and gently knead until a smooth ball if formed.
- Roll between two pieces of parchment paper until approximately 1/4″ thick. Cut into circles with a 2″ cookie cutter.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to fully cool.
- With an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients for the filling until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape the cream into a plastic baggie. Make a slit in one corner and thickly distribute the cream in a circular motion onto one cookies. Gently sandwich another cookie on top.
This recipe has be republished from the cookbook, Decadent Gluten-Free Vegan Baking with permission by Cara Reed under Page Street Publishing.