- 1/2 c. gluten-free flour blend (or use 1/4 c. all-purpose flour + 1/4 c. spelt flour)
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (I added this to the recipe)
- 1/4 c. almond milk
- 1/4 c. unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. water (recipe calls for a splash of water)
- 1/2 c. pomegranate seeds (recipe calls for seeds of 1/2 pomegranate)
- Start by removing the seeds from half of a pomegranate (or buy seeds already packaged). Put them into a small mixing bowl and set it aside while you make the pancakes.
- Put the flours, xanthan, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar into a mixing bowl and combine them.
- Fold in the applesauce and almond milk, whisking the mixture until just combined. (You might need to add another 1-2 Tbsp. of milk if too thick of batter).
- Place a large shallow frying pan over high heat. Melt a knob of vegan butter, swirling it in the pan so the pan is fully greased.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan. Spread it into an even circle with the back of your spoon. Cook the pancake until its edges start crisping up and bubbles form on top, then flip over. Cook it for another 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown, then slide it onto a plate. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Keep the pancakes covered so they stay warm while you make the pomegranate syrup.
- Place a small saucepan over a high heat. Put the brown sugar and a the water into it, and start heating the mixture, swirling the saucepan often. The sugar will first dissolve, then, as the water evaporates, it begins to caramelize. When the caramel starts to bubble, lower the heat and swirl the pan often to prevent overflowing.
- Let the syrup thicken for 5 minutes (you don’t want it to get too hard though). Add the seeds and allow to cook until they have softened and are starting to burst.
- Serve pancakes with drizzled syrup.
This recipe has been republished from The Vegan Cookie Fairy’s Christmas Recipes e-book with permission from Clemence Moulaert.