- 2 c. Cara’s All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. raw sugar (you can omit if you want)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 5 Tbsp. non-hydrogenated shortening, chilled
- 1 c. nondairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder, sugar (if using), and sea salt.
- With a pastry blender of the back of a fork, cut in the shortening into the dry mixture until it becomes like a coarse meal.
- Stir in the nondairy milk and vinegar with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Dump the dough onto a counter lined with parchment paper and gently work it into a ball with lightly floured hands (dough may be slightly sticky).
- Gently press dough into a circle about 1″ high and 8″ in diameter. Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2″ biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on the baking sheet. Gather the dough scraps together and cut more biscuits until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve immediately with butter of choice, raw honey and/or jam.
- Serving Size: 1 Biscuit
- Calories: 207
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 280mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g