Forget waiting until winter to make a gingerbread home, you can make your very own Pretzel Log Cabin this summer with these fun allergen-friendly ingredients.
- 7 gluten free graham crackers (store bought or homemade)
- 1 bag gluten free pretzel sticks
- gluten free cereal (like Chex)
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. water
- 2 cinnamon sticks, cut to fit cabin’s porch height
For the Sugar Paste:
- Combine the powdered sugar and water and mix until a thick paste has been formed. If too runny, add 1 tablespoon of sugar until a consistency of paste has been reached.
- Place into a plastic baggie with a small slit cut out of the corner or a piping bag.
For the house base:
- Take 2 graham crackers and coat with the sugar paste. Place the pretzel sticks even over the cracker.
- Take those same 2 graham crackers that have the pretzels on them and turn on the longer side and place parallel to each. “Glue” with the powdered sugar paste along the sides to connect with 2 graham crackers (that have been broken in half to create 4 squares). Make sure to keep the other halves as you will need to carefully cut at the tops to create an angle for the roof. See the video for guidance. You should have a rectangle now.
- Allow to dry 5 minutes.
For the Roof:
- Add paste to the tops of only the long parts of the rectangle. Place 2 more graham crackers on top to create a roof. Using the paste create a sealing within the 2 graham crackers at the top.
- Spread more sugar paste over each side of the roof and coat evenly with gluten free cereal. Allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Take the 2 remainder graham cracker squares and gently cut into an angle to fit along the sides of the roof. Glue.
For the Awning:
- Break 1 graham cracker in half, length wise. Glue over the base of one side of the bottom of the roof. Prop up with a piece of cinnamon stick that has been cut to fit the height. Please refer to video.
- Finish glueing the rest of the cereal on the top of the awning. Use the gaps to glue more pretzel sticks.
For the door:
- Using a small piece of graham cracker, glue 2 cut pretzel sticks around it. Glue to the front.