- 1 c. warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp. active yeast
- 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pysllium husk powder + 3 Tbsp. warm water
- 3 c. Cara’s All-Purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
For the boiling water
- 6–8 c. water
- 1/4 c. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Allow the yeast and sugar to froth in the warm water for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together until well-combined. Take out about 1/2 c. of the flour and keep nearby in a measuring cup. Add the yeast mix, oil, maple syrup, and thickened psyllium into the bowl with flour and stir until dough becomes scrappy. Start adding the other portion of the flour, 1/4 c. at a time until mixed in and a dough starts to form. Start kneading the dough with your hands for a couple of minutes in the bowl at this time to get it smooth. The dough should be moist but not sticky. If it is still still, add 1 Tbsp. of flour at a time until it is.
- Divide the dough into six, even and smooth balls. Roll each ball out with your hands on a lined flat surface until you have a long 12″ snake-like dough piece. Follow the pictures for the pumpkin shape. For regular pretzels shapes, see the photos here.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover and allow to gently rise for 30 minutes in a non-drafty spot in your kitchen.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring your water to a boil in a large pot. Add the baking soda (slowly, it will start to cause your water to rise) and maple syrup.
- Gently place each pretzel in one-by-one with the guidance of a large spatula that will guide each one into the water. Allow to boil for 1 minute on each side, very gently turning over on the other side. Be careful, if done too quickly your pretzels can fall apart.
- Place on a baking sheet (with your spatula), lightly coating the tops with olive oil and sprinkling with coarse sea salt immediately. Repeat for each one.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, turning the baking sheet around after the half-way point of cooking. Bake until a beautiful brown exterior forms. Allow to cool briefly on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 7.6g