- 1½ c. Cara’s Light GF Flour Blend (or use store bought)*
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum (omit if using a gf flour mix with it already included)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. nondairy milk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
For the “Eggs”:
- 1/2 c.. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. nondairy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 10 apricot halves, drained from a can
- sprinkle of chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 10 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add all of the wet ingredients together and mix with a wooden spoon until a batter forms. Your batter should resemble a pancake batter. On the thicker side but not too runny. If it’s too runny, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until correct consistency.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 mins. The baking time will vary based off of your oven but you will know they are ready when you touch the tops and they are firm.
- For the frosting, with an electric mixer, whip up the shortening until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and nondairy milk until nice and fluffy. If still too runny add a tablespoon of powdered sugar until firm and fluffy. Add a tsp of nondairy milk at a time if too stiff.
- Cool the cupcakes before you frost them. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes if still too warm. Simply take a spatula, add a good heaping of frosting and smooth it down from the middle. Please note that if you are having troubles spreading the frosting, dip your spatula in warm water beforehand.
- Add an apricot half on top and sprinkle with chia seeds for the “black pepper.”
*Please note that if you do use a store bought flour blend, make sure that it is a rice-based blend. Also, be mindful of the liquid absorption discrepancies due to the different flours used so you might need to alter the amount of liquid needed. This is always an issue when you sub out ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- Calories: 415
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 185mg
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g