- 1/4 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 2 Tbsp. nondairy butter
- 1/4 c.+ 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. aquafaba (brine from a can of chickpeas)
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/4 c. Cara’s GF Flour Blend
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice (should get from 1/2 lemon)
- Recipe for Colored Icing (see post)
- Recipe for Sugar Crystals (see post)
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and buttah together with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the sugars and beat in until fluffy. Add the aquafaba and zest until just combined.
- Whisk together the flour, gum, baking soda and powder, and salt in a small bowl. Pour in half of the dry ingredients and mix with the electric mixer over low until mixed in. Mix in the other half of the flour. Your dough should be crumbly at this point. Breath. It’s supposed to look like this. Add the lemon juice and it should create a more cohesive dough: Not sticky, not dry. If it’s too sticky add a tablespoon of flour. Your dough should be smooth.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Knead with your hands until smooth, cover, and chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove 1 dough ball and keep the others chilled. Your dough will be crumbly upon coming out of the fridge if you try to roll it out but don’t fret, warm up by passing it between both hands until easy to roll out.
- On a piece of parchment paper lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough to a 7″ x 4.5″ rectangle at 1/4″ thickness. Cut the edges to straighten out. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and create your shapes with cookie cutters. Please read the post for tips on making your designs. Your dough should remove with the cookie cutters easily (this is why you need to chill it). Place the cut out shapes on a separate piece of parchment paper.
- Bake your cookie puzzle for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Once you remove it from the oven, immediately re-cut the shapes out so the other shapes will fit perfectly inside. See the photos above in the post. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then place in the freezer to set.
- Bake your shapes for 5 minutes. Keep your eye on them, you do not want them to burn or even brown because it will make re-shaping them more difficult. Remove from oven and re-cut them with your cookie cutters. Allow to cool and then freeze for a few minutes.
- Using colored icing, decorate your cookie and then immediately coat with sugar crystals (if using).