- 1/4 of an orange bell pepper
- 1 c. cauliflower florets
- 1 c. carrot, chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeño juice, from a jar of jalapeños
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. all purpose flour
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Set your oven to broil and line a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the bell pepper, skin side up, on the baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil. Broil for about 10 minutes, or until it starts to blister. Transfer the bell pepper to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and allow it to steam.
- In a pot, bring the cauliflower and carrot to a rapid boil for 8-10 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Drain and immediately transfer to a high speed blender.
- Add the blistered bell pepper, oil, water, jalapeno juice, seasonings, and nutritional yeast to the blender. Blend on medium-high until a smooth consistency is formed. Add more salt and/or jalapeno juice according to your preference.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the cheese sauce. Once warm, whisk in the flour until desired thickness. Add salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Eat immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container for up to one week.
This is a very mild sauce. Amp up the spiciness by adding more jalapeno juice and a few pickled jalapeno slices and blend.
Note that the sauce will thicken up a little after it has cooled.