- 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour
- 1/2 c. Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- 1/4 c. Bob’s Red Mill arrowroot powder
- 1/4 c. Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (you can omit, just note they will be more delicate)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. unsweetened dairy free milk (or regular milk)
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened dairy free milk
- 10 strawberries, room temp
- 1/2 c. orange colored melting chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line a muffin tin with 12 liners. You will bake 12 cupcakes but will have 10 total after you assemble everything.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the muffin tin evenly and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back after gently pressing down.
- Remove from the pan and allow to fully cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling down, gently holding the tops, dip each strawberry into the melted orange-colored chocolate chips until completely coated. Place on a piece of wax paper and allow to sit for 5 minutes to set.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a small center from the middle of 10 cupcakes. Don’t cut too deep, just a slight dip is good enough. Set the scraps aside.
- Take the 2 other cupcakes and crumble into small piece along with the scraps. You will use this for the “dirt” along the edges. If you have cacao nibs on hand, you can use these too!
- Beat the frosting ingredients together with an electric mixer or by hand and gently frost the edges with it.
- Add the cupcake crumbles.
- Place the strawberry carrots inside the middle of the cupcakes.