- 1 store-bought pound cake (OR use this gluten free yellow cake recipe for allergen friendly version), placed in freezer for 1+ hours
- 6 natural fruit leathers (I used Stretch Island Grape Fruit leather).
- 1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut (or shaved white chocolate)
- 1/2 c. frosting of choice (Wholesome or Simple Mills)
- candies of choice (for allergen friendlier options, use Swedish Fish, Yum Earth, Annie’s Fruit snacks, Surf Sweets, TruJoy chews, Hunny Bon OR you can simply use rainbow Twizzlers, gummy Lifesavers, Dots, and Starbursts for some crazy color combos).
- Cut the cake into slices about ¾” thick– a little thinner than the width of the cut fruit leather. Use a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter (1.5”wide x 1.75” high) to cut rounds from each slice – or if you don’t have small enough one, just trim the cake pieces into small disks.
- Trim the fruit leather to about a 1”wide. Make sure the fruit leather fits around the cake piece – you can try stretching the leather by placing it between parchment paper and stretching it with a rolling pin.
- Put the white frosting into plastic baggie and snip a hole in the corner. Add a little frosting to the fruit leather then wrap it around the cake piece.
- Add a little more frosting to the inside of the cake top, then dip the “sushi” into a shallow container filled with shredded unsweetened (or sweetened though not really necessary as the frosting is very sweet) coconut if you can find it (or shaved white chocolate).
- Use clean scissors to cut the candies into small pieces to make the “fish.”
- The fruit chews can be made into “ginger” with a quick warm up in the microwave for a boy 10 seconds.