- 2 c. rice, uncooked
- 1 c. pasta, uncooked
- 1 c. white beans, uncooked
- food coloring of choice
- 2 tsp. water (separated into 1/2 tsp. per colored grain)
- addition add-ins like conversation hearts, felt stickers, etc.
- 4 plastic baggies or containers you don’t mind getting stained
- Place 1 c. of rice/pasta/beans into each baggie.
- Mix 1/2 tsp. of water + 15-20 drops of food coloring per color.
- Place into the baggie, zip up completely and then shake the heck out of it until the color has spread evenly. You might need to add another 1/4 tsp of water along with a couple more drops of coloring if it doesn’t coat it perfectly.
- Place the rice out on a piece of parchment paper, aluminum foil, baking sheet, or paper towel and allow to dry (see notes).
- Once completely dry, pour all colors into a small storage bin.
Depending on the type of food coloring you use, you might have to leave out to dry longer. I found using the regular liquid food coloring dried up rather quickly (in an hour, especially for the rice), however you might need to leave out overnight.