- 1 c. warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp. dry active yeast
- 1/2 tsp. coconut sugar (or use granulated sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. pysllium husk powder + 3 Tbsp. warm water, sit for 1 minute to thicken
- 3 1/4 c. Cara’s All-Purpose flour blend
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- WATER BATH:
- 6–8 c. water
- 1/4 c. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
LIGHTLY COAT WITH:
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- Allow the yeast and sugar to froth in the warm water for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together until well-combined. Take out about 1 c. of the flour and keep nearby in a measuring cup nearby. Add the yeast mix, oil, maple syrup, and thickened psyllium into the bowl with flour and stir until dough becomes scrappy. Start adding the other half of the flour, 1/4 c. at a time until mixed in and a dough starts to form. Start kneading the dough with your hands for a couple of minutes in the bowl at this time to get it smooth. The dough should be moist but not sticky.
- Divide the dough into six, even and smooth balls.Roll each ball out with your hands on a lined flat surface until you have a long 14″ snake-like dough piece. For the bunny shape, cut off 2″ of the dough and set aside. For regular soft pretzel shapes, keep at 14″. Follow the tutorials in the post for how to shape your pretzels. For the bunny, take the remainder 2″ piece, roll it up and fill in the gap for the tail.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover and allow to gently rise for 30 minutes in a non-drafty spot in your kitchen.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring your water to a boil in a large pot. Add the baking soda (slowly, it will start to cause your water to rise) and maple syrup.
- Gently place each pretzel in one-by-one with the guidance of a large spatula that will guide each one into the water. Allow to boil for 1 minute on each side, very gently turning over on the other side. Be careful, if done too quickly your pretzels can fall apart.
- Place on a baking sheet (with your spatula), lightly coating the tops with olive oil and sprinkling with coarse sea salt immediately. Repeat for each one.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, turning the baking sheet around after the half-way point of cooking. Bake until a beautiful brown exterior forms. Allow to cool fully on the baking sheet before enjoying.