- 2 can chickpeas
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, pureed (or 1 can tomato sauce)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- 4 gluten-free buns OR you can use cabbage/lettuce leafs as a substitution
- Drain 1 can of chickpeas. Put into a bowl and mash with a fork (don’t worry if it is not all mashed–pictured above).
- Drain the 2nd can of chickpeas and stir into the mashed mixture. Set aside.
- Puree the can of tomatoes in a food processor (or just open the can of tomato sauce–i didn’t have sauce so i got creative with what i had and it turned out fabulous).
- In a large skillet, heat up 1-2 Tbs oil at medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. When they have tenderized, add the chickpeas. Let it warm up for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce/puree, sugar, spices and red pepper. Stirring often, let it heat up for a good 10-15 minutes
- Place on a gluten-free bun or lettuce leaf (Sloppy Joe Wraps!) and serve.