- 1/3 c. vegan butter
- 1/3 c. light corn syrup
- 2/3 c. vegan sugar (I like Zulka sugar)
- 3 Tb. water
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda (no clumps)
- In a 8×8 glass pan, line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On medium heat, combine all of the ingredients together except for the baking soda in a deep saucepan (keep in mind that when you eventually mix it in, the baking soda will make the recipe explode like lava–this is why you want a deep pot). Be sure to stir continuously.
- Once the sugar dissolves, turn heat up to medium-high heat until the mixture begins to boil. Do not stir at this point. Allow to boil for 5-7 minutes. It will be tempting to walk away but don’t! After the 5 minute mark, the candy’s temp will spike and you will burn it if you do not keep an eye on it.
- Once the mixture becomes a golden caramel color, immediately whisk in the baking soda until completely mixed in. Watch the science experiment begin!
- Place into the parchment paper-lined pan and allow to cool down and set for 30 minutes. Do not touch! Those air pockets are imperative for the texture in this candy.
- Break with a knife once it sets and coat with melted chocolate if you desire.