- 3/4 c. Cara’s gluten-free flour blend — see below (or use your own)
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. non-dairy chocolate chips, melted
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 c. cherry juice
- 1/2 c. non-dairy chocolate, melted + 2 tsp. non hydrogenated shortening or refined coconut oil (mixed until smooth and ready for dipping)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan (if you have a 6 muffin pan, even better!)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle and throw in all of the wet ingredients (except for the boiling water). Mix until almost combined and then add the water. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter into the muffin pan. If you are using a 12 muffin pan, fill the empty spots almost halfway with water just to make sure that they bake evenly. Just please be careful of the hot water when trying to remove the pan from the oven and when removing the cupcakes.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool enough to touch.
- Place the crumbled cupcakes in a large bowl and add 1/4 c. cherry juice. Stir until well blended. You may or may not need to add a little more later in order to keep the cupcake dough in tact. Use 1 tablespoon of cherry juice at a time at your own discretion.
- Form a flattened circle from a heaping tablespoon of the cupcake “dough” and place a cherry in the middle as seen above. Cover over the cherry and gently roll in between your hands to create a smooth ball. Repeat for the remainder of cherries.
- Dip the balls into the melted chocolate and allow to sit on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 10 minutes until chocolate has set.
- Decorate as you like and eat the crap out them.